Plumbing Supply – Things to Consider When Choosing Your Plumbing SupplierSeptember 18, 2021
Tips to Weatherproof Your Outdoor KitchenOctober 19, 2021
Cleaning your outdoor lighting fixtures regularly will ensure their durability to last longer. It will enhance your home’s curb appeal and improve the quality of the light cast for welcoming guests.
With so many different types of outdoor fixtures available today, it would be wise to learn the dos and don’ts for maintaining them. You could even contact your local lighting store for advice.
Steps to cleaning outdoor lighting fixtures
- Make sure to turn off the power supply.
- Remove globes, shields, or grills with the appropriate tool (usually a screwdriver).
- Remove the light bulb.
- Fill two buckets with hot water and some dishwashing soap for suds.
- Place the removed items in one bucket (not the light bulbs).
- In the second bucket, dip a sponge or rag to wipe down the parts of the light fixture that could not be removed but do not let the water run in the sockets.
- Carefully rinse the loosened pieces and the parts that could not be removed with water, and then dry them.
- Once they are dry, if preferred, you can apply a polish or wax to the metal parts.
- Clean glass globes or shades with a glass cleaner.
- Wipe off the glass part of the light bulbs with a damp rag but not the part that screws in the socket.
- When all pieces and parts have been cleaned and dried, you can reassemble the lightening fixture.
- Return the power supply and double check that the fixtures are working correctly.
Forgetting about outdoor lighting fixture maintenance is not uncommon. People tend to take them for granted as decorative additions to the outside of the home. Since they are exposed to the outdoor elements, they often get dirty quickly. The less you clean them, the more layers of grime that will build up.
This can eventually damage and ruin your lighting fixture. They should be wiped off as needed but diligently cleaned at least twice a year.
What not to do when cleaning outdoor lighting fixtures
- Do not rush. You should give yourself time to clean everything thoroughly and safely.
- Detergents should not be used on bronze or copper fixtures because they can discolor them.
- Do not apply force when trying to remove a stubborn bulb. Instead, use duct tape that is formed into a loop so that when applied to the bulb, it functions as a handle on each side. This will make it easier to twist and remove the bulb.
- Do not put glass globes or shades in a dishwasher or washing machine.
Outdoor lighting should be given the same consideration as your indoor lighting. Contacting a local lighting store to help you understand the different categories available and how outdoor lighting can be used, would be very beneficial.
Since outdoor areas are trending as multifunctional spaces, they should be treated as an extension of your home. Families, friends, and neighbors are lounging and dining in outdoor kitchens, or near an outside fireplace.
Creating these areas and having the right outside lighting fixtures will increase the value of your home.
Read also: How to Replace an Outdoor Light Fixture
Advantages to outdoor lighting fixtures
- Helps family and friends to gather around outside comfortably while enjoying each other’s company.
- Creates drama to landscaping or ornamental features.
- Increases safety after dark.
- Improves the home’s overall appearance while you live there, and/or if you decide to sell.
- Enables outdoor grilling especially when it gets darker earlier.
- Creates a warm welcome for all who enter through the front door.
If you are looking for help with lighting fixtures indoor or outside, call Facets of Lafayette today. We are a local lighting store in the Lafayette, LA area and offer a variety of home products from plumbing fixtures, appliances, and much more.
We bring over 200 years of combined experience and can assist you with building a new home or remodel one. To schedule an appointment to speak to one of our highly trained team members, call 337-981-7860 today.
Let Facets help make your home decisions stress-free and easy.
How to Clean Outdoor Lighting Fixtures – https://www.todayshomeowner.com
Tips for Cleaning Outdoor Lighting Fixtures https://www.decksdirect.com
The Benefits of Outdoor Lighting….and How to Maximize Them – https://www.ylighting.com