Why Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove are The Top Choices for Kitchen AppliancesMay 15, 2023
Outdoor Kitchen Lighting Ideas for the Perfect AmbianceJune 13, 2023
Is your cabinet hardware looking a little grimy? Are your drawer handles losing their shine? It’s time to roll up your sleeves and give your cabinet knobs and pulls some much-needed love! Cleaning and maintaining your cabinet hardware not only keeps them looking pristine but also ensures their longevity.
So, let’s dive into how to clean and maintain your cabinet hardware, whether they’re made of metals, glass, or wood. Keep reading for some valuable tips and tricks.
Know Your Cabinet Hardware Material
First off, you need to know the type of material your cabinet hardware is made of. Different materials, such as metals, wood, or glass, require specific care.
Every surface reacts differently to chemicals and cleaning techniques, and using the wrong type of cleaning solution can lead to damage or corrosion over time.
Remove Cabinet Hardware
Remove the hardware to gain full access to each nook and cranny, so you can clean more thoroughly and efficiently. Trying to clean hardware that’s still attached to your cabinets can run the risk of accidentally damaging the surrounding surfaces or leaving behind unsightly cleaning residue.
Read also: A Guide to Cabinet Hardware Placement
Cleaning Techniques for Different Materials
Each type of cabinet hardware material has its own unique characteristics, requiring specific care to maintain its beauty and shine. Here are some methods you can use for each material:
For cabinet hardware made of metals like nickel, chrome, or brass, you’ll need a microfiber cloth, mild dish soap, and warm water. Start by creating a gentle soapy solution and dampen your cloth with it. Gently wipe down the metal hardware, removing any dust or grime.
Once you’ve finished cleaning, rinse off any soapy residue with warm water and thoroughly dry the hardware to prevent water spots. And there you have it—shiny and spotless metal hardware that perfectly complements your cabinets.
You can clean wood cabinet hardware using the same method as you would for cleaning metal hardware mentioned above. Once you’ve finished cleaning, wipe away any excess moisture and allow the hardware to air dry completely.
To enhance the natural beauty of the wood, apply a thin layer of wood polish or oil, following the product instructions. This will help nourish the wood and keep it looking radiant.
To clean glass cabinet hardware, you will need a microfiber cloth, warm water, and a glass or window cleaner. Start by removing dirt and grime by wiping the hardware with a damp cloth. Then, spray the window cleaner onto the cloth and gently wipe down the hardware.
6 Maintenance Tips for Long-lasting Cabinet Hardware
Below are a few simple tips that can help your cabinet hardware look great and function smoothly for years to come:
- Clean regularly. Regularly clean your hardware to remove dirt, dust, and grease buildup.
- Tighten loose screws and bolts. Over time, screws used to secure cabinet hardware may become loose due to normal use. Periodically check and tighten the screws to ensure a secure fit and prevent wobbling or detachment.
- Protect against moisture. Moisture can cause hardware to corrode or tarnish. Protect your cabinet hardware by avoiding excessive exposure to water and ensuring proper ventilation in areas prone to humidity, such as kitchens and bathrooms.
- Avoiding abrasive cleaners. Refrain from using abrasive cleaners, such as alcohol or ammonia, that could scratch the hardware’s surface.
- Regular inspections. Conduct periodic inspections of your cabinet hardware to identify any signs of wear, damage, or deterioration. Promptly address any issues to prevent further damage.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Different types of cabinet hardware may have specific care instructions provided by the manufacturer. Always refer to these instructions for the best maintenance practices for your specific hardware.
Read also: How Do I Choose Cabinet Hardware?
Cleaning and maintaining your cabinet hardware is definitely worth the effort. It not only ensures efficient use but also enhances the aesthetic appeal of your cabinets. Now, if you’re in need of new hardware and looking for a local hardware store in Lafayette, LA, Facets of Lafayette offers a wide variety of hardware products. You’re sure to find one that complements your house’s design and style.
Schedule an appointment with one of our Showroom Consultants or visit our showroom at 3155 Ambassador Caffery Parkway to benefit from our expertise!