Walk into any kitchen and where do your eyes usually go? Right above the stove—the range hood.
A range hood is usually right above the stove and is used to catch the smoke and grease coming from the stove into a filter.
This helps to prevent the smoke and grease from getting mixed into the HVAC system of the house and starting a hazardous fire. Range hoods come in different looks and styles.
They usually range from fancier hood covers to disguise the vent or a plain metal vent mounted under a cabinet or a microwave unit above the stove.
No matter what your range hood looks like, it is imperative to keep the filter clean and avoid a greasy range hood.
How Often Should You Clean Your Range Hood?
In order for your range hood vent to operate at its maximum capacity, you need to be cleaning the filter monthly.
An unclean filter will cause the vent not to work, which could result in your kitchen walls, cabinets, and countertops becoming greasy. Not only is this messy and unsightly, but it could be dangerous too.
A dirty range hood filter will be unable to clear out kitchen smoke and may result in an overabundance of smoke that can flow throughout the house.
5 Easy Steps to Clean Your Range Hood Filter
There are many ways you can clean your greasy range hood filter. Below, you’ll find one tried and true method that is not at all time-consuming, and gets the job done.
- Remove your range hood filter. Some filters will come off with a pull or push tab, others might slide in and out of place.
- Add boiling hot water to your kitchen sink. Add two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid that contains a degreaser and ½ cup of baking soda. Then mix well.
- Now, submerge the filter in the sink and let it soak for about 15 minutes.
- Using a sponge or scrub brush, clean the filter to remove grease and food particles that may be stuck on the filter. Then run the filter under hot water again to ensure cleanliness.
- Dry the filter well by using a towel. Do not place a wet filter back onto the range.
4 Steps to Clean Range Hood Surfaces
Now that your filter is clean, you’ll want to clean the range hood surfaces by following these four easy steps.
- Mix a solution of either vinegar and hot water (at a 1:1 ratio) or a solution of dish soap (1 tablespoon) and hot water (one gallon).
- Spray the solution onto the surfaces you’d like to clean and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Using a paper towel, wipe away the solution from the surfaces.
- Using warm water and a clean dishrag, give the surfaces a final wipe-down to ensure all of the solution is gone.
Read also: Home on the Range: How to Choose the Best One for Your Home
Are you planning to remodel your kitchen, update your appliances, or restyle your stove and range hood? Then look no further than Facets of Lafayette!
Facets of Lafayette is sure to have everything for all of your kitchen appliance and cabinet hardware needs, both indoor and outdoor.
Located in Lafayette, Louisiana, Facets of Lafayette carries only top-rated brands for your home, such as Samsung, Sharp, MOEN Frigidaire, Electrolux, and GE Appliances.
If you’re looking for kitchen appliances in Lafayette, LA, then schedule an appointment with one of our Showroom Sales Consultants for a personalized showroom visit!
Facets of Lafayette is there for you when you need a change of scenery for the interior of your kitchen, bathroom, and the entire house.